Registered behavior technician renewal application process
The BACB’s registered behavior technician handbook delivers precise instructions for renewing the RBT certificate. While it must be renewed annually, the process cannot be performed greater than 45 days before the certification expiration date.
The registered behavior technician renewal procedure is as follows:
- Within 45 days of the RBT certification renewal date, complete a renewal competency assessment.
- Complete the renewal application on the BACB website.
- Complete the $35 renewal payment, upload the competency assessment and submit the application.
How to prepare for the RBT renewal application
To better prepare for registered behavioral technician renewal, a certified RBT must have all required records to submit a completed renewal application.
In addition, a BCBA will provide a renewal checklist with measures and suggestions for completing every aspect of the RBT renewal application process.
The renewal checklist includes the following:
- Updated contact information and name on the BACB online account
- Certificate maintenance provisions
- Competency assessment
- Renewal application
- Renewal fee
Once all of the renewal steps are completed, check the email address associated with the account or the BACB online account for any notifications. If no additional information is required, the next step is to await the confirmation email that verifies that the certification is renewed for another year.
RBT renewal competency assessment
The renewal competency examination is required every year to ensure the continued mastery of an RBT’s knowledge and skills. Since these professionals regularly conduct hands-on exercises with children on the autism spectrum, the assessment is beneficial for maintaining an optimum standard of care.
Below are some significant features of the competency examination:
- A BACB-certified therapist (BCBA, BCaBA, or BCBA-D) must conduct the examination or act as a specified accountable assessor.
- An associate assessor may carry out some or all of the examination, but the accountable assessor is still ethically and professionally accountable for the competency examination.
- The competency examination cannot be completed more than 45 days before RBT certification expiration.
- The assessment may be executed over one or numerous sessions, as needed.
The exam is not a written examination, but rather an evaluation of how registered behavior technicians perform specific tasks. RBTs are assessed through task completion with a child, through role-playing activities, or an interview.
What does an RBT do?
The registered behavior technician certification is for paraprofessionals serving within the behavioral health field. These professionals are expected to provide behavioral care services and interventions directly to children on the spectrum.
The renewal procedure is much easier than the initial certification, which requires applicants to:
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Complete a background check
- Finish an accredited 40-hour training
- Pass the primary competency examination
- Register for certification
- Pass the national RBT certification test
To maintain certification, an RBT must have evidence of continued supervision, adhere to the specified ethics code, and renew their RBT certificate before the expiration date.
What happens if an RBT misses the renewal deadline?
A technician who fails to submit a renewal application for any reason still has the option to renew the RBT certificate. However, this renewal should take place as soon as possible since the certification automatically expires if not renewed by 30 days past the deadline. If your renewal is late, a $50 late fee will be applied.
If an RBT does not renew 30 days after the renewal deadline, their certification will expire and they will be required to re-apply for certification.
Songbird Therapy is a technology-enabled provider setting a higher standard for children’s autism care. With a deeply passionate team and innovative technology, we’re building a world where every child can access world-class care at home, uniquely tailored to them. If you are an RBT looking to help provide children’s autism care, contact us to learn how you can join the team.